Getting a first pistol.

Hints, tips & advice on how to shoot faster without missing! Details of training & coaching courses will be posted here.
Ask for advice here and together we'll try and find an answer.

Getting a first pistol.

Postby safetyfirst » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi. I shoot long barrelled pistol and revolver and our club has some ipas shooting from time to time and I'd like to get into the sport and shoot action air, iPad and practical pistol with a 6mm BB gun.

Can anyone tell me which is the best association to join to enable me to purchase an airsoft pistol from a ukara registered retailer with the minimum amount of fuss?

In other words, membership of which body other than ukara is the most recognised defence of the vcr bill?

Thanks!
safetyfirst

Re: Getting a first pistol.

Postby AndyW970 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Nice to see another powder-burner looking to join in! Trust me its considerably cheaper and just as much fun!

The law when it comes to GBB pistols is a bit of a farse but it is what it is and while I'm no expert; it would appear that unless you have a UKARA number issued by a skirmish site (by being a regular 'player') then buying a realistic imitation firearm (an authenticly coloured pistol) as opposed to an imitation firearm (brightly coloured) is a practical non starter unless you have another valid defence within the act. Neither joining the UKPSA or IPAS Association constitutes a defence within the construct of the VCRA.

However, the great thing about IPAS and PP is that it really doesnt matter if you have a black/nickel pistol or as in my case a nice bright red pistol - its all about finding one that suits how you shoot and is reliable. The biggest issue with GBB pistols as opposed to powder burners is the reliability - so many really small things can cause a malfunction and with GBB my experience is you get what you pay for.

There are plenty of people out there who will happily sell you a stock pistol with a really badly painted top-slide for a small surcharge on top of usual retail and then there are folks out there like Mike at Elite Shooting Centre who will put you together a pistol with a high quality aftermarket annodised alloy topslide and magwell with as many upgrades as you like without the need for being UKARA registered.

A bit long winded but hope its answered your question

Hope to see you on the line some time soon

Regards

Andy
AndyW970
IPAS Secretary

Postby Keith Hickson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:22 pm

Where are you based? Have a look at the club list and see if you can get to a meet. We are a friendly bunch and you are more than welcome to try our kit. I have one of Mike's TM pistols with a blue slide but it depends on how deep your pockets are. Some of the best AIPSC shooters use multi-coloured pistols.Personally I shoot IPAS with both airsoft and air pistols.
This is one of Mike's
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=651
Keith Hickson
IPAS Membership Secretary

Postby safetyfirst » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks guys, that's really interesting. I'm near derby so I'll take a look!
safetyfirst

Return to Coaching, Training & Practice